Valentine’s Day! ~A First Date

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I know that not everyone celebrates or cares about V Day. Honestly, I used to be one of those people as well. It’s just another day right?!

Well, Valentine’s Day, for me, went from being just another day...to becoming a special day for me.

The Story:

Picture this- I’m a senior in high school. Valentine’s Day is coming up and I’m dreading it. No plans. No Boyfriend.

But I had been messaging this guy on MySpace...yes...MySpace. He was cute, funny, and interesting. Into music like me but actually writing his own songs and recording them...so that was cool. He was also 3 years older than me...in college...so I was interested but not really pushing anything. We talked a great deal about this and that. As Valentine’s Day grew closer, we got on the subject of plans... he asked me if I had any and I replied no. I also threw in the whole, “I don’t care about Valentine’s Day bit...it’s just another day jazz.” He agreed. Then he asked if I’d like to go out anyway as friends, just to have something to do. I responded with, “that could be fun.” I mentioned that "Friday the 13th" was in theaters and that that would be a fun way to celebrate a Non-Valentines Day as friends.  A good, gory, Jason slaughter movie was perfect... right?  So he was like, okay let’s go!

Now even though we acted like this wasn’t a date. It was a date. It was a Friday evening on Valentine’s Day... it was definitely a date.

But we were just going as friends...

Around 6:30, he showed up at my door. I had been impatiently glaring out the window...waiting, while also checking my hair and makeup in the mirror. I still wanted to be cute...even if it was just a “friend” date.

He comes to my door and I let me mom and younger sister answer the door. I walk into the room just as he walks through the door. He was wearing a blue, plaid button-up shirt, holy American Eagle jeans, Sperry’s,  and his hair was fixed. His cologne filled the room and smelled heavenly. This guy was cute! <<<that’s what my sister said...out loud... causing my face to get as red as the tank top I had on under my cardigan!

We walked out to the car and the nerves hit! Ugh I was so nervous. But we drove to the theater...not saying much. He paid for our tickets...even though this wasn’t a date and we were just friends. We found our seats and watched the movie. Now, this being a scary movie... I’ll admit I was nervous about how scared I would be...truth be told...I’m a chicken. At each scary part, I grabbed his arm and hid my face from the gory scenes. He didn’t seem to mind. After the movie was over, we started heading down the theater steps and before I knew it..this guy had grabbed my hand. We were holding hands on this non-date!!

After the movie, he asked if I was hungry. I told him no but that he could go get him something before taking me home. So he pulls up to KFC, orders, and then we sit in the parking lot while he eats and we chat. He puts in one of his CDs, consisting of songs that he had written. And he was really good. I was so impressed. I stole a French fry or two...and we sat and talked for a while. Then he took me home.





Fast forward 11 Valentine’s Days later:

It’s Friday, February 14th. The guy I spent my first Valentine’s Day with on a “just friends, this is not a date, date” is now my husband of 8 years and the father of my firstborn. Who would have thought that first date would bring us here?

So now, every Valentines Day is a big deal to me because I’m celebrating more than what society wants us to celebrate. I’m celebrating an anniversary of a first date, that wasn’t an actual date, with a guy who was supposed to be just a friend...that turned into the love of my life! ❤️

Happy Valentine’s Day!

xoxo


Comments

Post a Comment