Will she do it?! -Tackling Goals

My last post of 2019 was all about the goals I had set for myself for 2020.

But January 1st came and went and nothing changed.



I decided to really start accomplishing my goals on January 6th since that was technically when my routine started back up since having a two-week break during the Christmas season.

But here it is Friday, January 10th and still not much has changed...well sort of...

Monday, January 6th:


I woke up early. Followed my usual routine. But the day felt different. It was the day I would make changes and start working toward the goals I had set for myself for the new year. So I thought.

My intent for that morning was to get up even earlier than I usually did and complete a workout, have an early, healthy breakfast, complete a devotional, complete a journal entry, read a few chapters of the book I'm currently reading, clean my house, prep healthy meals for the rest of the day, get dressed and apply makeup for the day, document it all for social media to see, and have all that done before the babies woke up!

Guess what...

...Most of that didn't happen. 

I did wake up early but only about 10 minutes earlier than usual.
I did have a healthy breakfast but it was after my toddler woke up.
I did complete a devotional. Started a 5-day devotional plan actually, read the first day and journaled about it.
I did read a few chapters of my book but that was later in the day when the girls laid back down for a nap.
I got the dishes cleaned...but that was about it.
I rocked sweats and a hoodie the entire day.
I only documented my devotional and journaling on social media. (and I am glad that was all I documented...)

You see, despite my intent...there was not a real plan set into place and no real action was taken. I just created a really long list of things to do for myself, just to say I did them! Our goals take more than just writing them down and executing...

I am glad that all I documented was my devotional and journal entry because it opened my eyes to something I hadn't realized. 

There was no way I could wake up, the first day of the week, and complete that huge to-do list while also tending to my other daily duties and not get burnt out. I was ready to start accomplishing my goals...but I was going about it ALL. WRONG! 

When I say my devotional opened my eyes. I mean it. It made me realize something I should have realized when I set these goals. That is, that my goals were going to take time. As does any goal that you set for yourself. Goals are easily written down when one sits and thinks of all the things they would love to do better. What's hard is actually putting in the work and action towards completing those goals and making the necessary changes. I want to share with you the 5-day devotional plan that I completed this week. If you are looking to improve yourself this year, make a small or even a big change, if you've set some goals and want to accomplish them...listen up! In 5 days, I learned a lot. In 5 days, I have made more progress than I ever would have if I would have just attempted to complete tasks that would have resulted in a quick burnout. Here is what I gained from that devotional and I hope you are able to take away something too. (If you follow me on social media, you may have already gotten a glimpse of this plan)

Day 1- Lay your foundation. Your foundation = your goals. Write them down. Post them somewhere you can view them daily. Review them. Recite them. Memorize them. Think about this; you cannot build a house without a foundation, so why do most of us assume that we can just make changes within ourselves in one day, one week, one year? You must first lay your foundation, write out your plan and determine how you will execute. When I wrote out my goals for the new year, that was me laying my foundation for the house (myself) that I am building. Have you laid your foundation yet?



Day 2- Decide. Commit! If you've laid your foundation, written out your goals, then you've got a plan and you've decided to do this. However, deciding to do something is only half the battle. Aside from just deciding that you are ready for change, you have to commit to change! Commit to your goals. This is why you need to read your goals daily, review them daily, and have them somewhere that you can see them in order to do so. If you see them, you will be more likely to stay committed to them. 


Day 3- NO Excuses! "One of the things that happens whenever we embark on a challenge is excuses."  Your goals are a challenge. You have decided and committed to changing yourself, your actions, your ways, your habits, the things you are used to. It will not be easy. As humans, we tend to make excuses when we just don't feel like doing things that challenge us. We make excuses to avoid the change and to stay in our comfort zone. It's important to know, those excuses will come but having a plan and being prepared for your excuses will help you stay the path. You know yourself better than anyone. Think about the things that may come up and cause you to make excuses to not work towards your goals, create a plan to handle those excuses.


Day 4- Distractions. They are everywhere. They show up even more so when you are focused on a journey for yourself. Tune out the noise of the world and focus on your goals. Don't listen to negative influences. Instead, replace them with positive influences. Find quotes, influencers, anything that motivates you and your success. Surround yourself with things that influence your goals and you will not be shaken! 


Day 5- TAKE ACTION! You've laid the foundation! You've decided and now committed to your goals. You have a plan for dealing with your excuses. You surround yourself with positive influences that keep you focused. Now, it's time to take action! Although, the first step was laying a foundation...Steps 1-4 were all part of that process. There is usually more than one layer to a foundation. "Talking about building a house and actually breaking ground are two different things." If you want to see results you must take action. Planning is apart of the process but eventually planning ceases and there comes a time to act! That time is now! Take small steps, make small changes, and work at your goals every day. Small progress is still progress and can always lead to bigger progress! Keep the faith, day in and day out. You've got this! 



Excerpts from Live Out Your Faith with Fitness presented through YouVersion's Bible App
Join me in reading Live Out Your Faith with Fitness:

You see. What I realized is that I had set some really great goals for myself and I really did want to accomplish them. But I also realized I had set some BIG goals for myself. Goals that weren't going to be completed in a day, month, or year. These goals that I had set for myself were goals that I would have to work at daily and commit to. 

So this week, I didn't start working out. I did make some small changes with my diet (what I eat, not a diet plan) like drinking more water and including healthier food options. But I still had some setbacks and moments of weakness. But I did eat a fairly healthy, homecooked meal every night this week except one! I did start a devotional and thoroughly enjoyed it and grew from it. I started reading more and I've made time for it every day, even more than once a day! I've learned patience this week. I've not condemned myself for all the things I didn't get to do this week, but instead, I have realized all that I did accomplish and feel proud! I have also prayed every day this week. I have read my bible and I have had some good conversations with God. 

So despite not being 100% changed or a new me...I am learning. I am changing. I am growing. Mentally, physically, and most importantly, spiritually. 

I am well on my way. 


Thanks for reading! 
I hope you enjoyed this blog post! 
Remember to subscribe to my blog.
Please comment and share with others! It not only helps and supports me, but it may help someone else! 

xoxo

Comments