Avoiding the Flu! ---My top 5 tips to staying healthy this flu season



Hello Everyone! Welcome back to the blog!!

It is still January...UGH! I swear January is like the longest month of the year. Every. Single. Year.

I saw a hilarious meme on social media that said, "It's 5 months into 2020...and it's still January!" (I cracked up!) <<<but the meme is not wrong!

Anyway, while I was on social media today, I noticed a trend. I am pretty sure I counted about 6 people posting about having the flu or their kids testing positive for having the flu. And as I write this blog post, I'm knocking on some wood...hoping and praying our household avoids it! I, like anyone else, I am sure, hates being sick. I also hate seeing the ones I love being sick. So I take some pretty serious measures to keep us all healthy during the cold and flu season. I wanted to share my list of top 5 tips to staying healthy with you all and hope that they will help you and your family stay well this season too!

TOP 5 Tips To Staying Healthy This Cold and Flu Season:

  1. WASH YOUR HANDS! This first tip should be a given and something you practice daily, all year long. You should be washing your hands before and after you eat, after bathroom breaks, and before handling food. If you are like me and have little ones still in diapers, make sure to wash your hands after diaper changes. Now while there is nothing better than good ole soap and warm water, there may be times when that is not an option. So having hand sanitizer or hand wipes with you at all times is a great habit to form. I personally love the Wet Ones Antibacterial Hand & Face Wipes and keep them in my one year old's diaper bag to use when we are out and about. I purchase them in bulk from Amazon and you can follow the provided link to do so as well.                                                                                                                  Wet Ones Wipes
  2. Take Preventive Measures! One thing I noticed about people who have come down with something like the flu or have kids that have become sick, is that they wait until then to decide they need to be taking immune-supporting supplements. But let's be real here. If you or your children are already sick, taking something to support your immune system isn't going to miraculously get rid of the illness. So my household makes sure to keep our immune system healthy by taking supplements and vitamins daily that help our immune system function at it's best! Every morning, my daughter and I take Vitamin C after breakfast. I buy the orange gummy kind and just make sure to break hers into small enough pieces for her to chew and swallow easily. In addition to taking Vitamin C, we also take a "shot" of Elderberry Syrup daily. Elderberry Syrup has really become a very popular topic and item during cold and flu season. People have even begun making their own and even selling it to others. I first started purchasing Elderberry Syrup from my local grocery store. The only downfall to that is when flu season really hits, it tends to sell out quick. So I started purchasing the same brand that I love from Amazon and have it saved and subscribed to be sent to me every month. The last time my daughter was sick was late August in 2019 and I had not been giving her Elderberry daily due to the summer months. But after her being so sick, I decided we would not miss a day of Elderberry and no one in our house has been sick since. If I do feel like I'm starting to develop symptoms or my sinuses are bothering me, I take a natural, homeopathic product that has Edlerberry in it and relieves my symptoms quickly. I will link both the Elderberry Syrup and Tablets below.                                                                                                                                                                               Elderberry Syrup                                                                    Homeopathic Cold/Flu Symptom Relief Tablets
  3. Eat Healthy! You may think, "what does eating healthy have to do with staying well?" But it has been proven that if you eat healthy, wholesome, nutritious foods, that your immune system and body will be better equipped to fight off germs and bacteria that may enter your body. Foods high in vitamins and antioxidants, like fruits and vegetables, should be consumed daily to give the body exactly what it needs to function and keep your system healthy.
  4. Exercise Daily! Along with eating healthy, exercise is something else you should be doing regularly to keep your immune system in tip-top shape. Just be careful in public gyms and use good sanitary practices. Luckily, I work out at home. 
  5. Get Fresh Air! Yes. You read that correctly. Get outside and get some fresh air. Regardless of it being the winter season, you can bundle yourself and your kiddos up and head outdoors for some fresh air. Staying cooped up in a warm house is a breeding ground for germs. If you are inside, open a window and let fresh air into your home. You don't have to open the window much, just enough to allow fresh air to filter in and let out the germy, stagnant air that can make you sick. 
Now, I must add that I am a stay at home mom, so I don't have to battle a work or school environment and my child does not attend daycare. But we still get out and about. Malls, grocery stores, restaurants, churches, etc are all places where sickness can find you. We also have friends and family who visit who are exposed to these environments. What I am trying to say is that somehow or someway you can be exposed to cold/flu causing germs. Using the tips I mentioned and being proactive about staying healthy can definitely help you avoid those nasty illnesses going around.

Do you have any additional tips that you use to keep you and your family healthy during cold/flu season? Comment below and let me know!

I hope that you are able to take these tips and implement them daily to keep you and your family well this cold/flu season. As always, thank you so much for reading my blog posts and for your continued support. Make sure that if you are not subscribed to the blog, that you do so by going to my blog home page, clicking the drop-down menu button, and clicking the follow link! You can also subscribe by email. Like, comment, and share this blog, as well as, check out my other blog posts on the blog home page. Don't forget to follow me on social media as well! ❤❤❤

Be Well!
xoxo

Please note: This blog post does contain links to the Amazon Affiliate program in which Tamra aka LifestylingwithTam is a member. If you purchase from these links she does receive a small commission. Your support is appreciated. Thank you! 

Comments

Post a Comment