Getting back into fitness! - Alani Nu BCAA flavor review

I am going to be straight up with you all....

.....It has been one. hot. minute. since I've been on the gainz train and really stayed consistent with eating healthy and exercising regularly.

To be perfectly honest...I haven't been really working on myself and my health since before I found out I was pregnant with my daughter plus some months!

Check this out.... ---------->>>>>>




That is what I looked like...approx. 2 years ago...

NOW believe me when I say....this is still not perfect...nor would I ever profess to be perfect if I were to accomplish a healthier version of myself than that of me in the pics above...BUT...I was happy! I was progressing! I was doing what I enjoyed and putting my health (physical and mental) and wellness FIRST! I loved seeing the results that I was slowly making and it was so exciting working on myself daily. I miss the girl in those pics!

Fast forward approx. 2 years later..and I've gained a great deal of weight, as well as, a baby! haha. But seriously.

Fall 2017, I found out that my husband and I were expecting our first child. I had already started slowing down with working out regularly and my eating was hit or miss healthwise. I had started my second year of teaching and had switched schools and was under a lot of "good" stress, but stressed none the less. Then, when we found out we were pregnant I stayed..."sick"...ALOT! I was always nauseous and foods I once enjoyed I could not eat. I tried to eat healthy for mine and the baby's sake but couldn't eat certain things. So when I did eat, it was whatever baby and my stomach would let me eat and it was often not much of it. My entire pregnancy I did really well not gaining an abundance of weight until right toward the end. Even then, my nurses were astonished that I hadn't gained more. But truthfully it was due to the sickness because my last trimester...the sickness disappeared and ya girl....chowed down! Even after bringing baby home, I had trouble maintaining a healthy diet due to attempting to breastfeed, pump, and getting the hang of being a mom. I mostly just snacked here and there and when I did eat it was usually not the healthiest of choices. It was almost impossible to focus on my health and what I was eating when I was trying to live life in 2-hour feeding/pumping increments! I finally made the decision to give up trying to breastfeed and pump and switched my baby to formula. I wanted to be able to enjoy my baby and be able to take care of myself as well. Then, after my 6-week postpartum doctor visit, my doctor cleared me to return to normal activities. I wanted so badly to start running again and eating healthy. I also wanted to get back into the gym but knew that would take some time. I did, however, sign up for a 5k. It was our local Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. I even got the hubby and baby to do it with me. Signing up for that race forced me to want to eat healthily and run regularly. I was starting to lose weight again and felt good about doing so.

But then, the holidays came...and after that Turkey Trot...I had nothing to work towards in my mind and so...I fell off the gainz train...yet again. I was off and on with dieting, working out, trying this and that for several months to follow. I had returned to work and was so stressed out with being a working mom, a teacher in a new grade level, and just trying to do life. Working out was not a priority and eating was becoming a stress reliever. (Sidenote confession...I am a stress eater!) And I will be completely honest with you and say that as I type this I am the heaviest I have ever been (aside from right at the end of my pregnancy).

Well...my husband and I both have been talking about doing better. We want to be healthy, active, and love who we see in the mirror. We also want to be a good example for our daughter to follow when she is old enough to make choices about what she eats and her health. So after our vacation that we took recently, we decided we were going to get on it. My husband...did. Me...well I wasn't ready! UGH! Ya'll it's so hard mentally to get into the state of mind to want to work out, to want to choose broccoli over a cheeseburger, and it's even harder when you have a kid to take care of! But...the moral of the story is this...if you really want it bad enough and if it means that much to you....then you. will. just. freaking. do. it! Bottom line. Period.

So approx. 5 weeks ago, I decided to take the first steps and take it slow. I started by focusing on my eating habits and making small changes. Nothing crazy or too hard to stick to. Then...

the next week...

I WORKED OUT for the first time in a month! It honestly...felt great, once I got up and started doing it. I hope to stay consistent and put in a real effort this time. I think having the hubby on board will help. But anyway...

During my workout, I mixed up some water and a new brand of BCAA's from my favorite fit couple! (Katy Hearn and Haydn Schneider) Follow them on Instagram if you don't already! Their new brand Alani Nu has been launched for some time now and recently it hit the shelves at GNC. I needed some BCAA's anyway and decided I would try their brand since I am a huge fan of theirs! I bought the flavor Sour Peach Rings and also grabbed a container of their protein in the flavor Fruity Cereal. Check out their other products at Alani Nu

Ya'll....

I was shook! 

Those BCAA's tasted just like a pack of the sour peach ring candy you buy at the store! O. M. G.

I have to let ya'll know too, that the protein flavor tastes just like the milk at the end of a bowl of trix once you've eaten the cereal. And no I ain't tricking ya'll or playing. ("Trix are for kids!") It is truly the best protein I have ever tried. I am so picky when it comes to anything with protein. I can taste the protein flavor every. single. time. I have tried numerous brands and flavors with no luck. And sure I could give up and just try to get my protein from food alone..but I always fail at that too and can never get enough protein with food alone when dieting. SO...I look to supplements. And the Alani Nu Fruity Cereal flavored protein did not disappoint! I actually enjoy drinking it! 

 Back to the BCAA's, I literally wanted to mix up some more and just drink the entire canister! 

Why BCAA's?

BCAA stands for Branch Chain Amino Acids. They are a group of amino acids that are naturally found in protein-rich foods. These amino acids help aid in muscle growth, enhance exercise performance, and can also help with weight loss and fatigue reduction after exercise. 

When I worked out regularly lifting weights and running, BCAA's were a must to have with me at the gym or after a run. So naturally, I made sure to have some on hand when I decided to start back trying to lose weight and get back into fitness! 

Have you tried any of the Alani Nu supplements? If so, what did you try and what was your experience? I am interested to hear as I would love to try some of the other supplements they offer. Leave a comment below of your experience! I'd love to hear from you! 

Anyway...hopefully, the next time I post a blog about my fitness journey, it'll be to update you on some successful progress and to let you know I've stayed consistent with working out and eating healthy! For now, I am 5 weeks in and 7 pounds down! I call that a win so far! 

Thanks for reading! 
I hope you enjoy this blog and be sure to check out other blog posts from me. 

To never miss a blog post again...subscribe to my blog by entering your email address and following the few steps that follow. (You will only receive an email when I post a new blog) 

xoxo! 

Comments