Healthy Taco Bowl Recipe - Customize this recipe to make it your own

If you are ever on Social Media on a Tuesday, you are more than likely going to see several posts about #tacotuesday.

    I have to admit that I often participate in the craze due to my love for Mexican food, more specifically, anything to do with Tacos. 

Recently, I shared a post about one of my favorite #tacotuesday recipes on social media. I had a big response to what I posted and several private messages asking for this recipe. So I was happy to jump on here and write a blog post about one of my favorite go-to recipes during the week. What I love most about this recipe is that it is completely customizable and the version I use will make your waistline happy, if you are trying to eat healthy. 

Let's get right to it! 

Healthy Taco Bowl Recipe-

You will need....

Ingredients: 
  • Ground Meat
    • I like to use Butterball All Natural Lean 93/7% Ground Turkey Meat. It is a healthier option and tastes just as good, if not better than hamburger meat.
  • Ole El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix
    • Ole El Paso offers many different options when it comes to taco seasoning. I use the 25% Less Sodium option to try to cut down some on the sodium intake. Any taco seasoning brand can be used. My family prefers Ole El Paso. 
  • White Rice
    • I buy the Birds Eye Steamfresh Selects Long Grain White Rice. It's quick and easy! I simply pop the bag in the microwave for 3-5 minutes and Voila! Any version of rice may be used. I use rice in place of the taco shells for a healthier option. 
  • Corn
    • I also purchase the Birds Eye Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn for the same reasons as the rice above. With a husband and a toddler, quick and easy is my mantra! 
  • Black Beans 
    • I prefer Luck's brand canned black beans because it's quick and easy, but any brand or option may be used. I drain the juice before placing in the pot. 
Optional Ingredients: (this is what my family and I prefer with our Taco Bowls. The beauty of this recipe is that it is completely customizable and anything can be added or taken away according to preference.)
  • Lettuce
  • Tomato
  • Colby Jack Shredded Cheese
  • Low Fat Sour Cream
  • Pico de Gallo Guacamole (I purchase from the deli at my local grocery store. Premade = quick and easy!)
  • Salsa
    • I go between two different types of salsa depending on my mood and tastes. I often use Pace Picante Mild Flavor salsa. But I recently discovered a salsa at Target produced by Archer Farms in the flavor Roasted Tomato &Chipotle. 
  • Doritos Nacho Cheese Chips (My husband enjoys the Doritos Locos Tacos from Taco Bell, so he started adding Doritos to his taco bowls for added flavor. He hasn't jumped on the healthy eating train with me just yet!)

Preparation: (This preparation follows the ingredients that I use and may be different if different foods are used for this recipe.) 
  1. Brown the ground meat as usual following the instructions on the back of the taco seasoning packet. 
  2. While the meat is cooking, prepare the white rice in the microwave. Once it is finished, add it directly to the meat and taco seasoning in the skillet and cook on low. 
  3. While the meat and rice combo is cooking, drain and empty the black beans into a pot on low-medium heat. Then add cooked corn to the black beans and warm. 
  4. Once the water in the meat and rice mixture has simmered away and the beans and corn mixture has cooked on the stove for approx. 5-10 minutes, add the bean and corn mix to the meat and rice if preferred. 
  5. Add 1-2 scoops of the taco mixture to a bowl. Top with colby jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, a dollop of sour cream, a dollop of pico de gallo guacamole, and a spoonful of salsa. 
  6. Enjoy! 

The Macros for this meal are listed below! 
  • Calories- 340
  • Carbs- 35g
  • Fat- 10g
  • Protein- 25g
If you attempt this recipe and love it, please make sure to let me know how it turned out for you! Also, let me know how you made it your own or if you did anything differently! 
Happy Cooking!


Thank you for reading this blog post! 

Please be sure to join my email list and never miss a recipe or blog post again!
 
Just a few simple steps and you will be apart of the 
LifestylingwithTam Community! 

Comments